Friday, August 31, 2012

Why Boycott the Revs?

I told my wife the other day that I was thinking about starting a boycott of the Revolution.

“What? I thought you liked the Revs,” she replied.

“I don’t like the Revs,” I said. “I love the Revs. And that’s why I’m boycotting them.”

I think you might have to be a parent to truly understand that sort of twisted logic. My four-year old used to scream and cry for attention all the time. Whenever she did this, I would always run right over to find out what was wrong and to comfort her. Most of the time, nothing was wrong. She just wanted attention. As much as I love my daughter, it got old after a while. I couldn’t even take out the trash or cut the grass without reducing her to tears.

One day, it finally hit me. I had unwittingly taught her that if she wants my attention, all she had to do was cry, and dad would come running over and hug her and take care of her.

So I stopped doing it. At first, it was awful. She cried even harder and longer. She yelled and screamed and told me she hated me. But after a while, she stopped crying so much. She learned that there were other ways to get mom and dad’s attention that didn’t involve crying.

Over the past 17 years, what have Revolution fans taught the organization?

 
I’d suggest that we’ve taught them that no matter how far behind the curve they are, no matter how often we’re mistreated or abused, no matter how little they respect us, we’ll keep buying tickets and merchandise.

It’s time to put a stop to it. It’s time to show ownership that we deserve respect and attention.  It's time for ownership to start treating this team as seriously as they treat their other business endeavors.

But more importantly, it's time for us to let ownership know that the way things are in Foxboro is not acceptable.  It's time to stop being an enabler.  It's time to stop giving them your money, because frankly, they haven't earned it.

1 comment:

  1. Here's how I see the situation:

    Revolution season ticket holders are purchasing a good/service. Like any other good or service, you expect some sort of return on your investment. You expect the good or service to perform at a certain level of quality.

    How many times would you continue to return to purchasing "brand x" microwaves when they continue to not function as expected?

    "Well, lets try a third or fourth 'brand x' microwave. Maybe it was just a fluke that they died after 6 months."

    This is how I feel about the Revolution. My family has purchased season tickets (four in total) every year since the first season. We have only watch their performance plummet over the last 10 years. How much longer should my family invest in a product that doesn't perform? How much longer should we hope that the Kraft family isn't running this team as a gigantic tax write-off?

    At some point you have to decide that you will no longer put forth your hard earned money for an inferior product!

    ReplyDelete